Just for the record, this is just my list and something that I find authentic on the music scene. It has nothing to do with any of music critics nor reviews. It is just plane and simple, something what changed my world, what changed and shape my musical taste, and what I found revolutionary in music. This is just a small introduction, before someone starts saying how I forgot someone, and to be frank I am sure that some of great artists will be left out, and that is really unfair, but it is really hard to pick only ten. Hope some will match with your taste.


1. Elvis Presley “That’s Alright”

The rock and roll history begins here. Elvis also known as the King, really deserves to be on this list. Sun Records boss Sam Phillips was always telling this, something like a mantra: ” If I could find a white man who had the Negro sound and the Negro feel, I could make a billion dollars.” It seems like someone heard his prays and in 1954 Elvis was there like the embodiment of his prays. One thing is sure, he changed the music for good.



2. The Beatles “I Want To hold Your Hand”


This was the fifth single of these Liverpool boys. This is the song that broke America. It got on the American scene after the assassination of JFK, it may look like this has nothing to do one with another, but it seems that lyrics like “I Want To Hold Your Hand” were deeply connected with the all situation in the States.



3. Sex Pistols “God Save The Queen”


This is the song which first shaken the UK and than the rest of the world. Rebels coming from the working class. It was a new wave which changed the thinking of ordinary people. “…for she’s a human being” refer to the Queen. Punk as a movement and way of thinking as well as living appeared. It is not only about the sound, but a visual moment is also there. Their clothes as well as the music were all but conventional. Just think of it, even today they are making fuss in some parts of the world. I don’t know if you have heard but few days ago some (punk) people were arrested in Indonesia, and will be in moral prison.



4. Billie Holiday “Strange Fruit”


This is one of the most moving and scary songs of all time. This song helped revolutionize the America. This song was the start of the Civil Rights movement. This song was covered many times, but for me Billie Holiday’s version is the best one. I always feel the chill down my spine when I hear it.



5. Bob Dylan ” Like A Rolling Stone”


When a country singer starts singing like this, you know that there are some changes on their way. The war in Vietnam, the music of that time was brilliant. It is said that when there is something what is bothering someone or if there is need to rebel, you will create something. That is the basic human instinct. Will to change and live.



6. New Order “Blue Monday”


At the moment when this song was released the Punk movement was really at its high. But as we know from the history, everything what reaches its maximum will soon be finished and long gone. They combined some kind of electro sound with disco, which no one liked at that moment. Just think of all those punkers and than a group of clean, well dressed people who flirt with disco sound come on the stage. It was revolutionary and all of the other 80′s songs and groups were born, too. People who really were putting in the center of attention looks and appearance. I know you all like the 80′s!



7. Queen “Bohemian Rhapsody”


Queen is, in my opinion, the most complete music band of all times. They were revolutionary, and when you think of it there are not many bands, even these days, who would dare to do what Queen did in “Bohemian Rhapsody” all those styles, it was doomed to fail, but it was No. 1 on the charts in many weeks and in different years too. The song is just perfect. Another controversy about Queen was their singer Ferdy Mercury, who came up and said he is gay, who also died of AIDS. This is what changed a lot views and people mind around the world about this disease and gay population.



8. Sugarhill Gang “Rapper’s Delight”


The record that gave rap to the world – Released in 1979 this was the record that took the newform of music around the world. This was the record which gave another music to the world, it was something like black man’s punk. It was some kind of rebel yell, in some other way. Maybe some people will not agree with me one this, but I see it an attempt to show there is some other America over there, and many people started identifying with this. It was easier to say all you want in this form, more lyrics than any other music has.



9. Gloria Gaynor “I Will Survive”


This is being also known as a gay anthem, too. The gay community in those days had a lot of problems, even today there are lot of homophobic people, and some day. I like to believe, it would be no differences if you are gay or straight. After all it makes no differences, it is all about adult people loving each other.



10. Run DMC “Walk This Way”


It is one original rap/rock crossover. It is great to hear a new school of that time, because rap was something fresh and new,at that time, and some old school rock. It changed and maybe relaxed the tension between rap and rock.


Stumble Upon Toolbar www.tips-fb.com